Center is exciting. Like, probably the most exciting thing ever if you’re a marketing-tech head like me. And one of the most exciting things about it is the ability to trigger actions based on what your contacts are doing across all your marketing and communication channels.
Of course, that kind of power starts with insight into what those leads and customers are doing. A crucial piece of that insight comes from the Center tracking code. In a nutshell, this technology is what tracks your website visitors’ behavior and makes it available to any Center rules that depend on website activity. (Check out our How It Works page for lots of examples of these rules.)
The Center tracking code is so robust that it deserves an entire blog post to unpack it, and, as the Director of Customer Acquisition for Leadpages and Center, there’s nothing I’d rather write about. Here are the eight most important Center tracking code features you need to know about—and how to use them to get better insights and more revenue from your marketing and retention campaigns.
1. Center Tracking Code Works Like Google Analytics
Getting started is simple: you use Center to create a unique snippet of code for each of your websites, then place the code on each page you want to integrate with your Center account. If you can copy and paste, you can do this in about 30 seconds.
That’s all it takes to install the Center tracking code.
And then it’ll start tracking all sorts of things—which is where the fun starts.
2. Center Tracks All Sorts of Things
What kind of things, you say? Everything you need to build world-class automated marketing campaigns.
- Interactions with all your web properties: As I mentioned, each tracking code you create will correspond to a different web property—such as a website or set of landing pages—that you own. And you’re the one who gets to decide what counts as a web property.
For instance, you can use one tracking code across multiple domains if you want (say if you run a website but also publish related pages to your Leadpages subdomain). Or you can use multiple Center tracking codes on one website—one to track activity on the website alone and another that you include on every property you own—in case you want to create rules pertaining to one specific site and rules across all the sites you use.
- Pageviews: The Center tracking code tracks each time someone views a page where you’ve installed the code.
- Sessions/Visits: Similar to analytics platforms such as Google Analytics, the Center tracking script also tracks sessions—that is, unique visits to your web properties.
- Events: Center automatically tracks events that occur within the products you integrate with (e.g. sales from Stripe, views for Wistia videos, etc.), but Center also allows you to capture custom events on your website such as clicks, scrolls, and more.
- People (users, visitors, etc.): Lastly—and most importantly—Center’s tracking script allows you to tie all of the things above to particular people in your customer base or sales funnel. You can automate actions based on this data as soon as one of those people provides an email address, but Center will actually start tracking their interactions with your site even before that. So once someone does become a contact, Center will link their record with everything they did from the moment they first landed on your site.
Let’s look at that last point in a little more detail, because it’s one of the things that makes Center so uniquely powerful.
3. Center Allows You to Identify People in Several Ways
Center uses a person’s email address as a sort of virtual ID card—a unique identifier, for the tech folks in the crowd. Currently there are four incredibly slick ways to get the email address for a person to Center once they’re on the website:
- Leadboxes®: Given that Center was created by Leadpages, it’s only natural that Center and Leadboxes opt-in forms are integrated. Anyone who fills out a form via a Leadbox is automatically authenticated with Center.
- URL parameters: If you’re sending people to your site via an email, add a URL parameter – either utm_email or center_email – to email links dynamically from your marketing automation or email marketing platform (e.g. https://www.center.io?center_email=josh%40helpfulblogpostaboutcenter.com)
4. Center Listens for Form Submissions to Capture Data
5. The Center Tracking Script Unlocks Powerful Behavioral Rules
Once you’ve identified a contact via the Center tracking code, you can add them to unlimited website URL-based segments and rules.
If you want to create ads or email sequences for only people who have been to your blog, you can. Do you want to send people an email if they started your checkout process but didn’t purchase? You can do that. Do you want to invite people to join your webinar if they’ve been on your registration page but didn’t sign up? You can do that too. In fact, you can create rules based on every major page or section of your website.
6. Center Can Track Custom Events
Would you use Center’s custom events to track the same things you’d track through Google Analytics? Yes and no. While the technology works almost exactly the same, Center replaces the need to track many events because it’s getting the activity straight from the source.
Currently, you can create custom events in Center but aren’t yet able to create rules off of them. That’s coming soon, so expect to hear more about custom events down the road.
7. Center Creates a Unified Picture of Each Contact
Once a website visitor has provided their email address, their website behavior will be tracked for use with Center’s URL-based rules for as long as they don’t clear the cookies in their browsers. Even if a certain visitor comes to your website multiple times through multiple channels, you’ll still know it’s her as long as she’s shared her email address at least once.
8. The Center Tracking Code Is Configured for a Smooth Visitor Experience, Too
Center also comes with advanced tracking code features that allow you to accurately track visitors’ behavior on your site without sacrificing performance.
Center’s tracking script is asynchronous, which means your page doesn’t have to wait for tracking scripts. This minimizes the time it takes for your page to load and keeps your users happy. Center also supports callbacks and timeouts for the more technically advanced who want increased control and reporting accuracy without adding load time to the page. These features will speed your site’s normal operations along even if network congestion or a browser plugin should interfere with the tracking script.
9. Center Tracks Both Sides of Your Tech Stack
Perhaps the greatest feature of Center’s tracking technology is its comprehensiveness. For years, it’s been nearly impossible to capture each of your customers’ digital touchpoints because there’s just too much going on. You have people on your website, people in your webinars, people on your email lists. Stitching data together from all these different applications has been practically impossible.
But Center changes that on a foundational level, because it can see what’s happening in each of these systems and bring it all together. Its integrations are recording all of the behavior that happens within each of your different marketing applications, while the Center tracking code records visitor behavior that happens on your website. (That is to say, it operates both client-side and server-side.) The result is that you can finally create a complete picture of what your customers are doing on the Internet because Center allows you to track these different parts of the Internet.
If there’s a touchpoint with the customer, you can create a rule from it in Center. And that’s just the beginning. As Center advances, you’ll see more and more CRM-like features that leverage this comprehensive knowledge of your prospective and current customers—including lead back-up, lead scoring, and much, much more.
Endless Opportunities for Personalized, Automated Marketing
The Center tracking code unlocks the potential for nearly unlimited personalized, automated marketing campaigns. Of course, those sophisticated campaigns will help you bring in more revenue—but they’ll also save you time by collecting all your customer data in one place and helping you automatically identify your most promising prospects. If Center saves you just one hour in the next month—which it’s guaranteed to do in 30 days or less—you break even. Anything more than that is dollars in your pocket.